Monday, August 16, 2010

just call me a sweet treat connoisseur...

I absolutely love sweet treats.  Always have and it's looking like I always will.  When I was a kid, one of my nicknames was 'cookie monster' because I was constantly traipsing over to the cookie jar at my grandparent's house.  This of course can have it's downfalls (lots of deliciousness also equals lots of calories) but at the same time I would probably choose something sweet over something real.  And by real, I mean the food you serve for dinner.  So because of this obsession, I find it very interesting to discover and experience all of the yummy dessert places that the metroplex has to offer.  When I find these places and they are DELISH, I find it necessary to share the yumminess.  So I thought it only fair to share here.  

FAVORITE COOKIES

There is a place that was sent straight from heaven and plopped right down in Dallas and decided to start baking cookies and name itself JD's Chippery.  Pure heaven, I tell you.  They constantly bake cookies all day long so they are fresh, chewy, and deliciousness in your mouth.  They also serve muffins and fun fountain drinks that include the must-have cherry limeade.  My favorite cookie (although they are all AHH-MAZING) is the peanut butter chocolate chip with M&M's and Snickerdoodle a close tie for second.  Can't go to Dallas without stopping in... that would be a tragedy.
 
FAVORITE CUPCAKES
 
Little cupcake places have become all the rage and I had always heard about how incredible Sprinkle's in Dallas was before I moved to the DFW area.  I of course had to try it out, but then I discovered something even better... and closer, which is always a benefit.  The Cupcake Cottage located right in Fort Worth is family-owned in which they bake the same amount of cupcakes everyday and keep the place open until the last cupcake sells.  And believe me, they sell out... EARLY.  It is always quite the sad day when you pull up and see 'SOLD OUT FOR THE DAY' hanging in the window.  Thankfully they offer to hold cupcakes for you if you call early in the day.  Those sweet, sweet people.  They make different flavors everyday which they post on their website.  So far my favorite has been Peanut Butter Cup... it's peanut butter and has bits of chocolate in the cake.  You may be recognizing the pattern of my love for peanut butter and chocolate.
 
FAVORITE YOGURT
 
Ok, now if you are alive and even remotely observant, you have noticed all of the million yogurt places going up on every corner.  These places are usually decorated super brightly and offer a self-serve bar of a variety of flavors along with a toppings bar that include all kinds of yummy items.  With all of these yogurt place options, we have been super picky and had a favorite place in Arlington called Pure Bliss which we felt driving 15 minutes to visit was worth it.  But then Yogurtland moved in to the Montgomery Square Plaza area of Fort Worth and something dramatic happened... Pure Bliss got trumped.  And this is a bold statement, people.  Yogurtland offers a TON of options for flavors and toppings.  My favorite right now is the Nilla Wafer flavor mixed with some kind of chocolate flavor (I mix it up with different ones) and then throw in some Reese's chunks and Cheesecake Bits and sometimes add Nutter Butters and the Nilla Wafer cookies.  YUM.  Only 30 cents per ounce!  Deliciousness at a cheap price and served with a super cute pink or lime green spoon.  Gotta love it.
 
FAVORITE ICE CREAM
 
Alright so here is a less trendy place that I absolutely fell in love with when I moved to the metroplex that I had always heard rumors of... the one and only Braum's.  Growing up on the ice cream of Dairy Queen, the chain of Braum's has got them beat.  You can get delicous ice cream or yogurt (or food that I can't recommend because I haven't tried it) right through the drive-thru.  My favorite?  The chocolate yogurt that is perfectly mixed with Reese's chunks.  It makes me excited to see the Braum's start popping up as I drive back to North Texas from down south.  All becomes right in the world again.
 
FAVORITE GELATO
 
Gelato was a new discovery for me when I moved to the metroplex, first tasting this italian ice cream at Central Market.  So although I can't honestly say I've tried a million places to judge the all-time best, I was taken to Paciugo by a friend that has actually gone to Italy before.  I was instantly impressed by all of the different yummy flavors (thank you gelato lady for the samples) and decided to mix it with another one of my favorite things.  You guessed it... coffee.  I instantly ordered a cappucino con gelato with coffee flavored gelato.  Thank you, Italy.  You are served absolute yumminess in a super cute shop decorated with gelato spoons on the chandelier in the new fun area of Fort Worth.  Can't beat that.
 
FAVORITE FROZEN CUSTARD
 
Something else I had not experienced before was frozen custard until I was taken to Curly's Frozen Custard.  The place is decked out with picnic tables and cute patio lights hanging all around since you actually do not go inside, but walk up to the window and order.  There are all kind of 'concretes' or there is also specialties they offer.  I of course have gone with the Death by Chocolate option very often and have NOT regretted it.  The place even has a drive-thru.  Convenient, adorable, and tasty.
 
FAVORITE CAKES
 
With an overflow of bakeries all around, it was hard to figure out which one had the all-time best cakes to order.  Then came The Swiss Pastry Shop swooping in to save the day.  They are known for their amazing Black Forest Cake, but we've also ordered other cakes from there that were to die for.  Gotta warn you... this is not your trendy, happy bakery.  These ladies are in no way friendly and don't really care about your business.  They obviously figured out a long time ago that someone there can bake better than anyone in town so no reason to suck up to anyone.  Can't blame them... I'm going there for the cakes and not to be their best friend.

Well there you go my friends... my all-time fav dessert places in the metroplex.  If you are ever around any of these, I STRONGLY encourage you to stop at them immediately and enjoy.  Because you know you want to.  And if you know of somewhere delicious you think would make me happy, please tell me immediately.  Because I know I want you to.
        

2 comments:

Jen-Jen said...

um i LOVE this post! i must agree with every single one of them except for the gelato and cake place because i haven't been to those- sad day. you are moving forward with finding new places without me. dont worry... i will survive, somehow. one was left off-Sweet Sammies!!! we need a phone date this week! love you!

Lindsee said...

Even after that one cookie you savored for me, I completely agree. Let's go to Yogurtland next time I come, okay?!