Tuesday, February 1, 2011

my mom rocks more than yours...

So today is the first day of February.  And this is a very special day indeed.  And not just because north Texas decided to have a bitter cold winter storm and we were blessed with a snow day... AKA no work and school for the entire metroplex.  Which equals tons of relaxation on the sectional and snow on the ground.  ALWAYS fun.  But no, no, no.  That is NOT the only reason this is a special day.  It's actually super special because the most important lady in my life was born on this very day... the mom. 
My sister just happens to be in town this week for work and as we were laying in bed the other night chatting, we somehow started to talk about our fantastic mom.  Growing up we lived in the oldest house in our town so we didn't have central air or heat.  During the winter, we used deerborn heaters to keep warm.  Don't know what that is?  Oh that's probably because we don't use them in this century anymore.  Here's a quick peek of what one looks like...
Well we weren't allowed to keep these on throughout the night because the dad is a firefighter and that is SO obviously a fire hazard.  (Enter old school electric blankets.)  So every morning my mom would wake up at the buttcrack at dawn and turn on the heaters in the freezing house.  By turn on, I definitely mean light fire to it.  But let me just say, my mother is the most cold-natured person I know.  (And apparently I have inherited this wonderful trait from her... thanks mom.)  So that way when the rest of our family would wake up, the entire house would be warm and ready for us.  She did this EVERY day.  When I think about it now, I don't know how she did it.  Except I kind of do.  Because she's awesome.

Another thing my sister and I chatted about is the fact that when we got a little older, my mom got a job that was about an hour and a half commute away... one way.  So obviously it took her that same length of time to get home too... and sometimes a little longer when factoring in traffic.  However, that never seemed to effect our family dinner time.  She put a lot of importance on all four of us always having dinner together every single night... and that's with her cooking the dinner.  So she would drive to work, have a full day of work, drive home, and then cook dinner for our family.  EVERY day.  Sure there was the occasional night that we would go out to dinner.  But that was very rare.  We were the house that had home-cooked meals every night that friends were constantly asking if they could come over and eat.  And you know why?  Because my mom is fantastic.

So obviously these are just TWO things that make up about a million of the reasons of why my mom rocks.  But they give you a pretty good idea of who she is and why I love her.  And not because she does awesome things for me, but because she really does encourage me to hopefully one day be half as awesome of a mom she is for me and my sister.


We love you Mom... Hope your birthday is as fantastic as you!!!!!!      

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome...and thanks so much for this blog, it meant the world to me and made everything I have ever done worth every minute! Love you!! Mom

Larissa said...

So this made me tear up! Cheers for a sweet Godly mom who loved on your family and showed you what life is all about! What a true treasure and blessing! Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your childhood!

Anonymous said...

Your Mom is a wonderful Mom. i, your Nana, have watched her loving and nurturing her two daughters from Day One. You two wer her No. One priority in life to help, strengthen you, teach you morals, and skills to help you accomplish whatever your own dream was. Sh asked for nothing for her self, just her daughters happiness and wll being.

Anonymous said...

Great tribute

Lindsee said...

Love this! And I love her! I know these words meant the world to her.