Thursday, September 9, 2010

growing up (& old) too fast...

So I'm twenty-five.  I should be embracing my "adult-ness."  It doesn't mean that it can't surprise me or dissapoint me when I realize I'm doing things that I didn't use to.

Here are a few things that I've done lately that show I've grown up...

  • When it starts to get about 9:00 or 9:30 pm, I start winding down and getting ready for bed.  That's usually time for me to leave the living room if I'm still in there and head to the bedroom.  This still includes the whole getting ready for bed routine and also usually still reading once I get in my bed... but 9:00... really???  The roomie and I actually turned off a tv show the other around 9:15 because we realized the time and headed out of the living room.  Who have we become?
  • I make my coffee before I go to bed as apart of my "routine."  That's right... I get it all prepared so in the morning in my sleep stupor, I can just click ON.  This is really just helping me out because I am so far from being a morning person.  But I remember doing this for my mom when I was a kid.  Obviously very adult then.
  • The other night I woke up to a text message from a friend that is still in college at 12:30 am.  On a week night.  So I obviously didn't get it until 7 am.  And I actually had the immediate thought... "Wow, that is way late... oh, the college days."  What???  I'm pretty sure at this time last year I was staying up WAY later than that.  Granted, I was in grad school but that meant that I was still getting up to be at class at 8 or 9 am.  I've obviously changed. 
So these are a few things that have occurred in my life lately that have shocked me... and actually made me a little disappointed in myself.  I guess it's time to embrace growing up and that these things are okay to happen... but it just makes you feel a little lame, ya know? 

3 comments:

Andrea said...

- I participate in "pot-lucks" at work. And then look forward to them. What???
- I also have a routine, that includes making my coffee (I have an automatic timer), making my lunch, and even getting my bag together
- No matter where I am or what I'm doing I am DONE at 10pm
- I sit in commuter traffic daily
- I stop to look at sales for professional clothing...
We are OLD

Love you!
Andrea

The Kashuba's said...

I remember having this moment...mine included the realization that it was not appropriate for me to go around town in my sweat pants with no makeup on anymore. We are all glad that part of my college experience has left me. I know I lost exactly 4 years of fashion that the rest of the world enjoyed! All due to those pesky sweat pants! How was that ever okay? Don't you just love growing up!

Anonymous said...

wait till you get married! It gets worse! I am in bed by 10 so I can watch the news!

-Ashley (old married woman)