Sunday, September 5, 2010

here's to a double weekend of no labor...

Happy Labor Day weekend everyone!  Isn't it so fantastic to have Monday off?  For some reason, everyone I've talked to does not have any over-the-top Labor Day plans but just plans on chilling out and relaxing on the Monday that we're all released from labor (well the lucky ones anyway).  Is it because we're all so over the heat and don't really feel like throwing a barbeque when this heat is still killing us?  Sitting inside in the air conditioning and watching a movie while waiting for fall weather sounds glorious right about now.

This weekend is like a double weekend for me.  Since I work on staff at a church, my Sundays are not my own.  Although I may traipse out of town, I will quickly head back at some point on Saturday (usually late) to be at church bright and early on Sunday morning.  Luckily I don't work on Fridays and am able to have a weekend that looks a little different to most.  So this weekend I did just that... headed out of town on Thursday to my hometown of LaMarque (near Galveston) and came back on Saturday afternoon.  But I get double the fun since I am able to continue my weekend in Fort Worth until Monday... an extra little bonus weekend!  (I consider them separate weekends since there is a bit of labor in between.. it makes it more fun that way.) 

Here are some of my favorite highlights of the first half of my double Labor Day weekend down south: 

1. I got to have lunch with my Nana at Casa Ole on Thursday.  This is no random event.  We used to do this every Wednesday or Thursday when I was in college (depending on my class schedule that semester).  She let me "work" for her and I would bust out of class and head straight to Conroe so we could eat at our favorite place together.  Now our lunches are few and far between, but they still bring much joy to my heart.  My Nana is one of my favorite people in the world who everytime I see speaks much wisdom and brings much laughter (and style) to the table.  I sure do miss her.

2. I made coffee time with the Grandad.  Talk about bringing joy to my heart.  This time around he even explained about where coffee time came from and how he thinks that it started with his grandparents.  Love it.  Love him.

3. My mom and I ate one of our favorite dinners together and stayed up late talking.  I am very blessed to have a mom that I share such a special bond with and we just understand each other.  Always know it's going to be good when we are allowed some good quality time together.

4. I was able to see a lot of people from my youth group growing up.  We always had such a tight-knit group with one of the most fantastic youth ministers to date.  And trust me, I've met a lot of youth ministers when I entered seminary.  Even though it was a very sad reason that we were all reunited, it was certainly a reminder of how much each one of those people meant to me growing up and being apart of who I am today.  Definitely am ALL about a real reunion.

(To understand our youth group a little more, please watch this video.  I promise you, it will not be a wasted few minutes.  And my 14 year old self does indeed have a cameo if you can find me.)

5. I had meals at two of my all-time favorite mexican restaurants growing up... Taqueria and Gringo's.  Both different and both amazing in their own ways.  Gringo's was even my very first job.  Yup, I was a hostess for a whopping 2 months of my life.  And never again.  Rolling silverware in a restaurant kitchen to wee hours in the morning is apparently not my thing.  Who would have known?  But I do love their green sauce.




6. I went shopping with my mom and sister.  AMEN.

7. My crazy cousin and his family showed up and we had a sleepover.  Although they only live about 25 minutes away from me in the metroplex, our schedules are both busy and life gets in the way.  I love those three kids with all my heart though (and Phil and Shalee too of course).  Spoons is apparently our love language.  It helps that I am the undefeated champion always.


8. I was able to have lunch on Saturday with two of my college best friends, Lindsee and Jen.  Words cannot even describe how much I love those girls and getting to spend time with them, especially since it does not happen even remotely close to how much I wish it did.  Ellen's Cafe in Old Town Spring did not know what to do with the three of us apparently which of course made our lunch all the more entertaining.  What else can you do but die laughing when the old ladies next to you insist on either yelling at you or practically joining your table and of course when everyone is constantly staring?  Gotta love how it's never dull when we all get together.





That is my highlight reel thus far.  And it's pretty fantastic that I still have one more night of weekend and my day of no labor.  Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend as well!      

 

No comments: